Monday 15 April 2013

My view on Thatcher

With the funeral rehearsal in the early hours of this morning I thought I'd write this. I have been delayed in writing this predominantly because I wanted to get my views on this is in a slightly more respectful way. I was not a fan of Maggie predominantly due to the way she rode rough shod over the working classes & promoted the greed is good movement. But thing that she did that affected me the most was Section 28, when I was a teenager coming to terms with your sexuality & trying to get over the trauma of being a victim of an attack of a sexual nature from a member of the opposite sex, I found it hard, being told that it is just a phase because of the attack & all will be fine in the end when I resolve my trust issues did not help. I needed information, but with section 28 it was hard to come by when you don't where to turn to. It made me feel like a second class citizen, that people like me didn't matter, she may have done good things but I have difficulties remembering them, maybe it was because of her major failing in my life clouds my judgement of her & with the recent findings of the Hillsborough disaster & reminding myself of her orders at Beanfield I tend to find it hard to have respect for her. I am not mourning her death, though I'm not going to dance on her grave either, but I do feel that the state money that is going on her funeral, seeing as though her family are not short of money is unfair on the taxpayer at such times when the economic climate is struggling, that the £8 million that was a projected figure would have been more useful in going to the NHS or into service provision elsewhere. As to whether she was a feminist icon or not I would side on the not, her cabinet did not contain women other than herself & she seemed to do little to promote women's rights except put her face in the news frequently to say I make the political decisions around here. Her triumph was more a individual rights rather than mass rights of those whose rights still weren't properly being noticed & she favoured the upper classes in her campaigns as she was trying to move up the social scale herself, forgetting her working class roots. I got the feeling she was the pull the ladder up Jack I'm OK kind of person, full of self righteousness & full of her sense of infallibility. My thoughts go to her family as it must be a difficult time for them & I hope the loss will ease for you, but please do not ask me to mourn for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment