Friday 20 April 2012

Power Obsession

People are obsessed with power nowadays, those who have it, those who want it & who don't want to lose it. I have an uneasy relationship with power. When I wanted it I didn't get it, when I didn't want it I got it. I tend to stumble into these things rather than seek them out, but I'm willing to relinquish it when the time comes. As Aung San Suu Kyi said 'Gaining power does not corrupt people, trying to keep it when you have it does'. Other than having an ego trip, which will ultimately be your downfall, clinging onto power is destructive, you only need to look at the problems of the Middle East, North Africa, Zimbabwe, Russia & Burma to see that. It is undignified & will ultimately lose you friends, allies & respect, you will look desperate & you will lose credibility. There is nothing wrong with trying to achieve power by positive means, but bullying your way to the top will make things brutal on your descent. All things have cycles & the Wheel of fortune will deal its fate on you. the 3 figures on the card of the wheel of fortune are traditionally the dog/Anubis whose motto is 'I will rule' the lion/Sphinx 'I rule' & the snake/Typhon I have ruled. those who have had power but it is on the wane advise those who are at the top, those at the top should listen to those who have gone before & support those who are on their way up. A beneficent ruler does gain respect & is far less criticised in the long run as long as they are able to do the job they set out to do. I feel lucky in the fact that we live in a democracy, where ultimately the power is to the people, we have a right to protest & we can vote our leaders in & out of power, which is more than what some people around the world can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment